Reimburse Your Fees

While social workers and psychologists are regulated health professionals in Ontario, unfortunately they are not covered under OHIP. The majority of extended health benefits/employer benefits; however, do cover psychologist and social worker service (typically in your health and dental insurance package).

I encourage you to speak with your insurance provider about counselling services provided by a Registered Social Worker and Psychologist to determine your eligibility, approved rates of coverage and claim procedures (e.g., whether or not a letter or referral from your physician is required, details required on receipts, amount per person per calendar year etc.)

My fees are covered under your Extended Health Insurance Plan:

* For Social Worker fee reimbursement call 905-944-1711 or your third-party provider to arrange an appointment with Mr. John Schurmann.

* For Psychologist fee reimbursement call 1-888-245-5516 and register with Mr. John Schurmann. As an associate of psychologist Dr. Dan Dalton, my counselling service is covered under this service.

I work with the following Third Party Providers:

Employee Assistance Services (EAP)



FSEAP Ottawa
Homewood Human Solutions
Optima Global Health

Workplace Options

Workplace Solutions

Other Third Party Providers

Blue Cross
Credential Health Network PAOC Western Ontario District

Criminal Injury Compensation Board

Green Shield

Non-Insured Health Benefits for First Nations and Inuit

Workplace Safety and Insurance Bureau (WSIB)

Veterans Affairs Canada

Important Note:

As of September 26, 2012, counselling services provided by Registered Social Workers (RSWs) can be claimed as a medical expense tax deduction.

If registered social workers are not currently on the list of professionals covered in your employee health insurance plan, ask that it be added. The majority of insurance companies state that they do not cover registered social work services because the public does not ask for inclusion of this benefit in private health plans.

What You Can Do to Help

If you work in a unionized setting, ask your union representative to add social worker to the list of professional services covered in the employee benefits plan during the next contract negotiations.

If you work in a non-unionized setting, ask your employer or human resources department to add social worker to the list of professional services included in the employee benefits plan.

If you have private health plan, ask about adding coverage of social worker services to your plan. Tell your insurance company that you believe that social work services should be a standard benefit in all insurance policies.


Book Appointment

$50 Discount Certificate

Call 905-944-1711