QUALIFICATION & EXPERIENCE
My qualification and experience are:
Since 1990, I have provided counselling, life coaching and support services to individuals, couples, families, groups, and organizations in a variety of clinical and community-based settings. In 1998, I opened a full time private practice.
- Survivors of trauma, post-traumatic and chronic-pain issues - including motor vehicle accident rehabilitation.
- Adults, adolescents and children suffering with ADHD, depression, distress, anger, anxiety, addiction, bereavement, multi-cultural transition and adjustment issues, financial and spiritual concerns and work/life balance.
- Adults, adolescents and children seeking to improve confidence, self-esteem, life skills with stressful situations and interpersonal relationships, including marital counselling.
- Families experiencing child and/or adolescent conflicts, transition and adjustment issues.
Master of Social Work Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, ON -- 1998.
BA of Social Work with Honours York University, Toronto, ON -- 1996.
BA in Psychology Trinity Western University, Langely, BC -- 1990.
Registered Social Worker/Psychotherapist/ADHD Specialist/Life Coach
Schurmann Counselling & Life Coaching, Scarborough & Markham, ON -- (1998 - Present)
Working in full time private practice.
Markham, ON -- (2009 - )
Emotional Wound First-Aid Kit: A Comprehensive Guide for Rapid Healing
Markham, ON -- (2007 - )
Writing articles for:
SelfGrowth.com an Online Self Improvement Encyclopedia.
HowToDoThings an Online Self-Help Resource.
Oakville, ON -- (2007 - 2008)
Monthly co-host with Success Seminar on the Air, a unique live call in talk show.
Toronto Social Services, Toronto, ON -- (1991 - 1998)
Intensive experience working with individuals and families who struggle with socio-economic barriers, personal conflicts, educational/career barriers, multi-cultural and language difficulties, and physical disabilities.
MSW Social Worker
Jewish Family and Child Services, Toronto, ON -- (1997 - 1998)
Conducting individual, marital and family therapy, and co-facilitating a large support group of adult psychiatric out-patients.
BSW Social Worker
Etobicoke Board of Education, ON -- (1996 - 1996)
Providing short-term counselling for students and their families with issues related to school performance, behaviour and social/psychological needs.
- Providing psychotherapy, and family & couple therapy, utilizing the following therapeutic interventions: CBT, Behavioral Therapy, Solution Focused, Psychoeducational, Coaching and Family System.
- Utilizing a holistic approach by integrating the physical, emotional, intellectual, inter-personal and spiritual aspects of the personality.
- Facilitating self-understanding, problem-solving and exploring ones full potential.
- Psychiatric Mental Health and ADHD training at The Scarborough Hospital: Child and Adolescent Mental Health Clinic, under the supervision of a psychiatrist/ADHD specialist - from 1998 - 1999 (full time position).
- ADHD and related disorders work shops at The Scarborough Hospital: General Division.
- CBT training workshop by Dr. Zindel Segal, 2001.
- Life Coaching workshop by Dr. Patrick Williams.
- Institute for Life Coaching Training, 2002.
American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
Candian Association of Professional Social Workers
Ontario College of Certified Social Workers
Ontario Association of Professional Social Workers